Sacked Assam minister sent to three-day police custodyJune 4th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) A city court Wednesday remanded sacked Assam education minister Ripun Borah, arrested here Tuesday for allegedly offering bribe to a CBI officer investigating a murder, to three-day police custody. Additional Sessions Judge R.K. Yadav allowed the plea of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and remanded Borah and Ramesh K. Maheshwari, a co-accused, to CBI custody till June 7.
The CBI arrested Borah on the charge of offering a bribe of Rs.1 million to one of its officials for influencing a murder probe.
It urged the court that the two people’s custody was required as it needed to collect the missing links of the circumstantial evidence from Guwahati.
“The accusations, justifying their arrest, are well founded. Conspiracy is hatched in darkness and that is to be probed during the thorough interrogation. Any missing link may impede the investigation,” the court said.
Allowing the agency’s plea, the court said the circumstances suggested there was a conspiracy among Borah, Maheshwari and Mukul Pathak, a journalist arrested at the Guwahati airport, to bribe the official who was probing the murder case in which Borah was a suspect.
The CBI alleged that Borah, in his bid to wriggle out of the probe against him in the 1996 murder of Daniel Topno, a Congress leader in northern Assam’s Gohpur town, tried to bribe Deputy Superintendent of Police A.B. Gupta, who was apparently probing whether Borah had any role in the murder.
According to the probe agency, Borah, along with conduit Pathak, had come to Delhi June 2 and invited the official to a hotel at Sunder Nagar in south Delhi.
- Sacked Assam minister in jail for two weeks (Lead) - Jun 07, 2008
- ONGC official held for bribe sent to judicial custody - Feb 08, 2012
- Sacked Assam minister's jail term extended - Jul 06, 2008
- Sacked Assam minister in jail, expelled from Congress (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2008
- Sacked Assam minister's bail plea rejected - Jun 09, 2008
- Sacked Assam education minister gets bail in bribery case - Aug 05, 2008
- Sacked Assam minister in jail till June 21 - Jun 07, 2008
- Abhishek Verma, wife in CBI custody till June 21 (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in seven days CBI custody - Jun 09, 2012
- CBI to quiz Shehla Masood murder accused for 3 days - Mar 03, 2012
- Woman IAS officer sent to judicial custody - Nov 29, 2011
- Excise official sent to police custody - Jan 03, 2012
- Kalmadi aide's CBI custody extended (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- Raja, Balwa's CBI custody extended (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011