Sack Chidambaram, says BJP’s Joshi (Lead)June 17th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) Three days after Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa sought Home Minister P. Chidambaran’s resignation, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Murli Manmohar Joshi Friday raised the same demand.
Joshi hurled accusations ranging from corruption to incompetence against Chidambaram. The BJP had made the same demand Thursday too.
“Chidambaram should be removed from the cabinet,” Joshi told reporters here.
“The government itself is promoting corruption,” he said. “When he (Chidambaram) was in the finance ministry, a number of scams were reported in the ministry.”
He pointed out that the 2G spectrum scam was also reported when he was the finance minister, from May 2004 to November 2008.
“Now, he is the home minister… wrong lists are being sent to Pakistan. Recently questions were even raised on his winning elections through fraudulent means. But that the Election Commission will decide,” the BJP leader said.
On Tuesday, Jayalalithaa accused Chidambaram of winning the 2009 Lok Sabha election fradulently from Sivaganga in Tamil Nadu. The AIADMK candidate who lost has filed a case in the Supreme Court.
Joshi took the home minister to task for giving a list of India’s Most Wanted terrorists said to be hiding in Pakistan. At least two people whose names were on the list were found to be living in India.
“So a person like him is not fit to be a minister. I strongly demand his resignation,” he said.
- Remove Chidambaram, demands BJP - Jun 17, 2011
- Chidambaram hit by court ruling, opposition wants him out (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Chidambaram in dock for poll result, opposition demands resignation (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Opposition's sack Chidambaram chorus rises - Sep 23, 2011
- Chidambaram never won election, must quit: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Chidambaram need not resign, says Karunanidhi - Jun 09, 2012
- Congress rebuffs BJP's demand for Chidambaram's ouster - Jun 07, 2012
- DMK guarded as Jayalalithaa calls for Chidambaram's ouster - Sep 22, 2011
- Breather perhaps, but Chidambaram still in trouble - Feb 02, 2012
- 2G: Jayalalithaa welcomes apex court ruling - Feb 02, 2012
- Court rejects Chidambaram's plea - Aug 04, 2011
- Throw Chidambaram out of cabinet, BJP tells PM - Jun 07, 2012
- Blazing a trail, Jayalalithaa fires salvo at Chidambaram, Maran (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa springs surprise, attacks Chidambaram (Intro Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- More trouble in store for Chidambaram - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: accusations, bjp, chidambaram, chief minister, corruption, election commission, finance minister, finance ministry, home minister, incompetence, j jayalalithaa, joshi, lok sabha election, New Delhi, resignation, scams, sivaganga, spectrum, tamil nadu, winning elections