Sachin to join sporting legends at Madame TussaudsFebruary 27th, 2009 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 27 (IANS) Cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar will be the latest sporting great to be featured at the internationally-renowned Madame Tussauds in London when a new wax figure of the Mumbai-born batsman joins the A-list line up in April.
Tendulkar follows in the famous footsteps of Bollywood greats Amitabh Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan and will join other cricket legends Brain Lara and Shane Warne to become the very first Indian sports personality to be portrayed, the waxworks museum said in a statement Friday.
The cricketing legend has already had a sitting with the Madame Tussauds studios team who last week travelled to Mumbai to capture a catalogue of reference photographs and hundreds of precise measurements.
The information they collected at the two hour session at the Taj Lands End Hotel will prove invaluable as the sculptors and hair and make up artists get to work on his figure.
“We are delighted to confirm our next Indian superstar is going to be Sachin Tendulkar; his achievements on the cricket pitch are phenomenal and he is one of the biggest names in international sport,” says Liz Edwards, Madame Tussauds PR manager.
“The Bollywood stars we have included over the past ten years have proved enormously popular with Asian guests and film fans from all over the world. We know Sachin will be just as popular for sports fans from home and abroad and are looking forward to introducing the real Sachin to his wax double soon.”
Tendulkar, the Mumbai Indians Captain will be featured in typical celebratory “on the pitch” pose after another century marked in the scorebook.
He will be dressed in his cricket whites which he has donated.
The figure will be created at Madame Tussauds studios in West London at a cost of 150,000 pounds.
The cricket star will join the ranks of sporting greats, including David Beckham, Mohammed Ali, Tiger Woods and Jesse Owens, in Madame Tussauds interactive Sports Zone.
There will also be a cricketing challenge around the introduction of the figure, where guests can test their cricketing skills against the ‘masterblaster’.
- Tendulkar has date with 'himself' - courtesy Madame Tussauds - Apr 13, 2009
- Big wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong - Mar 25, 2011
- Wax statue biggest honour: Kareena - Nov 11, 2011
- When Ajay bumped into Sachin (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- Madhuri unveils her wax statue in London - Mar 07, 2012
- Hrithik unveils his wax figure at Madame Tussauds - Jan 21, 2011
- Madhuri Dixit to be immortalised in wax - Jan 05, 2012
- Kim Kardashian's wedding waxwork unveiled - Aug 21, 2011
- Salman Khan's wax figure coming to New York - Jul 28, 2012
- Sachin Tendulkar to 'meet' his wax image in Mumbai next week - Apr 09, 2009
- Russell Brand wax statue unveiled at Madame Tussauds - Oct 11, 2010
- Sachin makes birthday debut at London waxwork museum (With Images) - Apr 24, 2009
- Pattinson to be immortalised in wax for Tussauds museums - Mar 03, 2010
- Gwen Stefani calls her wax image 'weird' - Sep 24, 2010
- Rihanna gets wax statue at Madame Tussauds - Oct 03, 2011