Sacha Sauda followers go on rampage in Punjab, HaryanaFebruary 27th, 2010 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 27 (IANS) Followers of the Dera Sacha Sauda sect Saturday evening resorted to violence and rioting in various parts of Punjab and Haryana to express their anger over the booking of sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh on murder charges, police said.
Dera followers, who are popularly known as premis, went on a rampage and burnt eight buses in Punjab’s Moga district. They also burnt buses and destroyed public property at various places in Haryana like Sirsa, Hisar and Fatehabad towns, police said.
Singh was booked by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for the Feb 22, 1991 murder of former dera manager Faqir Chand. Chand’s body was never found and the CBI had conducted an inquiry into this on court orders.
Besides Singh, the CBI had booked four other members of the sect for murder, destroying evidence and hatching a criminal conspiracy.
Dera Sacha Sauda, which has a huge following all over the country, is headquartered at Sirsa town in Haryana, around 275 km from here.
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab turns violent as Dera sect followers torch vehicles, properties - Feb 28, 2010
- Security tightened in Punjab following Dera Sacha Sauda protest - Mar 01, 2010
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- CBI court's clean chit to Dera chief in murder case - Dec 24, 2010
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Security tight in Haryana following Sikh sect protest - Feb 28, 2010
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- Five women killed in Haryana stampede (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
Tags: anger, buses, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chand, criminal conspiracy, dera sacha sauda sect, destroying evidence, followers, haryana, hisar, moga, murder charges, ram rahim singh, rampage, saturday evening, violence