Sabarimala devotees can now buy prasadam coupons at bank branchesNovember 10th, 2008 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 10 (IANS) Devotees can now come with prepaid coupons from the Dhanalakshmi Bank to buy the prasadam of the famous Sabarimala temple here. The temple opens Nov 16 for the festival season.Kerala Devaswom Minister G. Sudhakaran Monday handed over the first set of coupons to Jayakumar, a senior official of the bank at the Devaswom headquarters here.
The prasadam distributed at the temple includes the mouth watering ‘aravana payasam’, made of jaggery and rice, and ‘unniappam’.
Last season trouble arose when temple authorities ran short of cans to pack the ‘aravana payasam’. It had to be given in buckets and vessels which invited a lot of criticism.
This time, pilgrims can walk into any of the 182 branches of the bank across the country and collect their coupons. These can be exchanged for the prasadam at the temple complex on the hilltop.
The festival season at the temple, dedicated to Lord Ayyappa, continues till the third week of January.
The temple is at an altitude of 914 metres above sea level and four kilometre from Pamba in Pathanamthitta district in central Kerala.
Large numbers of pilgrims turn up at the shrine every year on ‘Makar jyoti’ day on Jan 14. This year a record one million devotees witnessed the ‘Makar jyoti’ light appear on the horizon in the evening.
- Sabarimala spruced up as pilgrimage begins Wednesday - Nov 14, 2010
- Dhanalakshmi Bank all prepared for Sabarimala temple season - Nov 14, 2009
- Sabarimala sells 1.2 lakh cans of prasadam daily - Nov 22, 2009
- In Sabarimala, a season of crowds, snakes and pickpockets - Jan 09, 2012
- Kerala gears up for Sabarimala ritual - Jan 05, 2012
- Sabarimala earnings surge - Dec 04, 2011
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Sabarimala coffers register record collection - Jan 16, 2010
- Sabarimala pilgrimage begins Monday, 40 mn devotees expected - Nov 14, 2009
- Lakhs witness 'celestial light' on Sabarimala horizon (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- 1.5 mn prasadam cans, chopper service for Sabarimala devotees - Nov 15, 2008
- Sabarimala temple prepares for annual pilgrimage frenzy - Nov 13, 2008
- Post-stampede, divinity of Samarimala light questioned - Jan 18, 2011
- Pilgrims gather for Sabarimala 'celestial light', year after tragedy - Jan 15, 2012
- Sabarimala pilgrimage season ends in 102 deaths, what next? - Jan 20, 2011