Saarc mutual legal assistance treaty may be finalised: PranabJuly 24th, 2008 - 4:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) A Saarc convention on mutual legal assistance in tackling crime is likely to be finalised at the forthcoming summit of the grouping in Sri Lanka, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said here Thursday. Speaking at a seminar on South Asian Economic Integration, the minister pointed out that the recent suicide bomb blast targeting the Indian embassy in Kabul showed “how vulnerable South Asia continues to be to terrorism”.
“We have initiated discussions on a draft convention on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters. This will enable us to implement action against such crimes in the neighbourhood with regional cooperation,” said Mukherjee at the seminar organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Ficci).
He added that the discussions “will be finalised at the forthcoming summit”, referring to the 15th Saarc summit to be held in Colombo next week.
“While development projects bring benefits to those that most require it, the Saarc governments have a collective responsibility to ensure that growth and development within the region take place in a crime-free atmosphere where people feel secure,” he said.
Earlier, he said India had kept the commitment of “moving Saarc from declaration to implementation”.
He asserted that India would transfer the entire amount of $100 million voluntary contribution to the Saarc Development Fund within this year.
The minister said the second meeting of transport ministers in Colombo in September will be able to finalise the draft Regional Motor Vehicles and Railway Agreement. “I hope the agreement will accelerate seamless travel from Kabul to Male,” he said.
India, he said, had already upgraded rail links at border points of Raxaul-Birganj and Jogbani-Biratnagar linking India and Nepal, while road upgradation at Akhaura-Agartala, providing a link between India and Bangladesh, would be accelerated shortly.
- Indian Railways to connect with Bangladesh - Mar 14, 2012
- South Asia's leaders to accelerate trade, to jointly combat terror - Nov 11, 2011
- Tripura reaping peace dividend - Feb 21, 2011
- South Asia to accelerate trade, combat terror (Roundup) - Nov 12, 2011
- 'Rally against' terrorism: India to SAARC - Apr 27, 2010
- India puts Saarc treaty on crime on fast track (Lead) - Jul 24, 2008
- India-Nepal trade pacts to be signed next week - Oct 21, 2009
- Pakistan, Bangladesh stay off SAARC anti-terror meet - Feb 09, 2012
- Agreements on environment and trade in services to be signed at Bhutan SAARC summit: Rao - Apr 22, 2010
- India committed to fulfilling its SAARC responsibilities: Krishna - Nov 17, 2009
- SAARC to sign pacts on environment, trade - Apr 23, 2010
- SAARC: next stop Addu City - Oct 06, 2011
- Pranab calls for a convention on criminal matters in SAARC region - Jul 24, 2008
- Text of Manmohan Singh's speech at SAARC summit opening - Aug 02, 2008
- China unleashes charm for SAARC-plus one summit - Nov 14, 2011