Russians learn English for 2014 Winter OlympicsApril 18th, 2012 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A programme has been launched to teach everyone in Russia’s Sochi resort city more than 600 words of English before it hosts the Winter Olympics in 2014.
According to Russian newspaper Kommersant, the “Word of the Day” scheme will display English vocabulary throughout Sochi, with the average Sochi resident reportedly expected to encounter each day’s word five times.
“The residents of the city of Sochi will see and hear one word or one phrase daily, as spoken by a native speaker,” said Olga Medvedeva, head of the Sochi education department.
The plan relies on locals learning “on a subconscious level”, she said.
The goal is to turn Sochi’s residents into useful guides for foreigners travelling to the Olympics, Medvedeva said.
“Every resident of the city of Sochi will be able to greet guests, say kind words and give directions.”
A force of 25,000 volunteers is being recruited and trained in cities across Russia for the games in February 2014, with a further 3,000 local volunteers expected to guide visitors in Sochi.
- Terror plot targeting 2014 Sochi Olympics foiled - May 10, 2012
- Russian Winter Olympic mascots to appear on coins - Feb 22, 2012
- A race in Moscow would benefit F1: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- Snow leopard may be Sochi 2014 Olympic mascot - Sep 18, 2010
- Olympics: Late gold rush saves Russia's blushes ahead of Sochi - Aug 13, 2012
- Coca-Cola opens $120 mn plant for 2014 Winter Olympics - Sep 26, 2011
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic athletics: US women power to 4x400m relay gold - Aug 12, 2012
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- 2014 Winter Olympics may include new events - Oct 26, 2010
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Lashmanova wins walk in record time - Aug 12, 2012
- Russia allocates $19 mn more for sports infrastructure - Nov 16, 2011
- Electric shock kills former junior archery champion - Jul 10, 2012
- Fraud case launched over Sochi 2014 Olympic projects - Aug 09, 2012
- Russia toughens anti-doping regulations - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: 2014 winter olympics, education department, english vocabulary, foreigners, locals, medvedeva, moscow, native speaker, olga, olympics, olympics in 2014, phrase, ria novosti, russians, sochi, subconscious level, useful guides, volunteers, winter olympics, word of the day