Russian troops begin dismantling posts in GeorgiaOctober 5th, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 5 (Xinhua) Russian troops started dismantling posts in the buffer zone around South Ossetia and Abkhazia to meet the Friday deadline for withdrawal from Georgia’s territory, Itar-Tass news agency reported Sunday.”Indeed, we started withdrawing material property and dismantling defence barriers at peacekeeping observer posts, put up on the southern border in the security zone, adjoining South Ossetia,” Igor Konashenkov, the assistant to the commander-in-chief of the land troops, was quoted as saying.
Georgia launched a sudden attack against South Ossetia Aug 8 to reclaim control over the region. Russia sent in troops the next day and defeated the Georgian forces.
The military conflict was halted Aug 12 by a France-brokered ceasefire pact, under which Moscow promised to pull back its troops.
A follow-up agreement set a timetable for the withdrawal of Russian troops as well as the deployment of foreign observer missions. The agreement obliged Russia to pull its troops out of the Georgian territory by Oct 10.
Moscow recognized South Ossetia and Abkhazia, Georgia’s two breakaway regions, as independent states on Aug 26.
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia signs cooperation pacts with South Ossetia, Abkhazia - Sep 17, 2008
- Russian man goes on stabbing spree in Moscow - Dec 10, 2011
- Georgia formally breaks ties with Russia (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Sep 02, 2008
- Medvedev praises Sarkozy's role in South Ossetia ceasefire - Aug 08, 2009
- Russia launches military communication satellite - May 05, 2011
- Russian committee promises to investigate election complaints - Dec 12, 2011
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011