Russian navy ready to break Syria blockadeJuly 12th, 2012 - 8:03 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian Navy warships will be sent to defend Russian merchant vessels in the event of a blockade due to the situation in Syria, an official said.
“The fleet will be sent on task to guarantee the safety of our ships, to prevent anyone interfering with them in the event of a blockade. I remind you, there are no limits,” said Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, deputy head of Russia’s military technical cooperation agency.
The defence ministry has said a Russian naval task force was on its way to carry out naval exercises in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Black Sea.
The task force comprises warships from Russia’s Northern, Baltic and Black Sea Fleets, a ministry official said.
Russian cargo ship Alaed, which was carrying a cargo of renovated Mil Mi-25 helicopter gunships to Syria, was forced to stop June 18 and return to Russia after its insurance cover was withdrawn by a British insurer.
Dzirkaln said Russia has not embargoed its existing arms contracts with Syria and will fulfill existing contracts for air defence systems and helicopters.
The Syrian opposition has expressed concern over the departure of Russian warships to the Mediterranean as the presence of the Russian Navy near the Syrian coast could encourage the Assad regime to use even more violence against protesters.
“We have discussed this problem with Russia,” said Burham Ghalioun, a senior member of the Istanbul-based opposition Syrian National Council.
“We are concerned with the fact that these manoeuvres coincide with the escalation of the situation (in Syria),” he said.
- No choppers on board ships to Syria: Russia - Jul 14, 2012
- Russian warships not to enter Syria port: Navy chief - Jul 27, 2012
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- Russian warships to patrol Syrian coast - Apr 14, 2012
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Russian warships to exercise in Atlantic, Mediterranean - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Russian ship to hold drills off Syria - Apr 06, 2012
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- France preparing first warship for Russia - Dec 01, 2011
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- Russian Navy to get 10 more n-submarines - Feb 08, 2012
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia ready to help NATO in Afghanistan - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: air defence systems, assad, cargo ship, cooperation agency, defence ministry, deputy head, helicopter gunships, manoeuvres, merchant vessels, ministry official, naval exercises, navy warships, ria novosti, russian cargo, russian navy, russian warships, syrian coast, syrian opposition, technical cooperation, vyacheslav