Russian missile deployment plans ‘disappointing’: USNovember 6th, 2008 - 3:36 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 6 (DPA) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev’s announcement Wednesday of plans to deploy missiles in its Baltic Sea enclave to counter the US basing of a missile-defence system in Eastern Europe is “disappointing”, the US State Department said.”The steps that the Russian government announced today are disappointing,” State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said.
McCormack repeated US assertions that the 10 interceptor missiles planned for deployment to Poland and the radar system to the Czech Republic does not threaten Moscow’s vast strategic nuclear arsenal.
The shield is designed to protect against Iran’s growing ballistic missile capability, he said.
“This is not directed at (Russia),” McCormack said. “Hopefully one day they’ll realise that.”
In a speech Wednesday, Medvedev blasted what he termed US aggression in the world through the enlargement of NATO and the missile-defence system, and accused Washington of stoking the August conflict in Georgia.
US-Russian relations began the slide to their lowest point since the end of the Cold War after the US announced plans to deploy the missile-defence system in 2006.
Moscow views the plans as a threat to its nuclear fleet and has promised to target the sites in the two Eastern European countries.
Medvedev said Moscow will place an unspecified number of short-range Iskander missiles to Kaliningrad, which borders Poland and Lithuania.
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Poland wants to build own missile defence - Aug 12, 2012
- Russia scraps Kaliningrad missile plan - Sep 19, 2009
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia switches on missile detection radar - Nov 30, 2011
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Medvedev to discuss missile issues with US - Jun 11, 2010
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russia announces plans for extensive short-range missile network - Sep 29, 2009
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- Republicans bash Obama on missile defence - Sep 18, 2009
- Russia's missile deployment suspension positive step: NATO - Jan 29, 2009
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012