Russian football to pay tribute to flood victimsJuly 9th, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A minute’s silence is to be observed ahead of Monday’s first round of football matches in the Russian second tier in honour of the 171 people who died in floods in the country’s south, the league said.
The country is observing a national day of mourning after devastating flash floods swept through the Krasnodar region over the weekend.
Five matches are to mark the opening of the season in the second division Monday.
In addition to the pre-match tribute, players are also to don black armbands, the league said on its website.
The top games include Spartak Nalchik, relegated from the Premier League last season, against promoted FC Ufa, the team from which former Manchester United winger Andrei Kanchelskis resigned as coach last month.
- Minute's silence at Russian Super Cup - Jul 14, 2012
- Zenit thrash Spartak 5-0 - Aug 11, 2012
- Krasnozhan replaces Petrescu at Kuban - Aug 16, 2012
- Spartak owner envies Zenit's Hulk, Witsel deals - Sep 06, 2012
- Anzhi smash five past Alkmaar to qualify for Europa - Aug 31, 2012
- Spartak take on Fenerbahce in Champions League playoff - Aug 10, 2012
- Hiddink rejects Anzhi favorite tag: Europa League - Sep 20, 2012
- Petrescu to take over as Dynamo coach - Aug 16, 2012
- Barton stripped of QPR captaincy, fined - Jun 25, 2012
- Emenike signs four-year extension with Spartak - Jun 26, 2012
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- Turkish hackers attack Spartak site - Aug 23, 2012
- Over 140 dead in Russian floods (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat not to make changes for Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Own goal saves Spartak's blushes in RPL - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: coach, don black, flash floods, flood victims, football matches, honour, krasnodar region, manchester united, match, moscow, premier league, ria novosti, russian football, s south, silence, top games, tribute, vm, winger andrei kanchelskis