Russian firms to service Indian early-warning planesSeptember 8th, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Gelendzhik (Russia), Sep 8 (RIA Novosti) Russia’s state-run arms exporter, Rosoboronexport, said Monday a number of Russian companies will provide India’s A-50 airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft with after sale services. “Rosoboronexport has signed contracts with the Beriev Aircraft Company, the Perm Motors Group and the Vega concern to provide after-sale maintenance to India’s airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft,” a Rosoboronexport official told reporters at an air show in the Krasnodar region of south Russia.
The A-50 Mainstay is a Russian airborne warning and control system (AWACS) aircraft based on the Ilyushin Il-76 transport plane. It entered service with the Russian Air Force in 1984, and about 40 aircraft had been produced by 1992.
In 2001, India ordered three A-50EI variant fitted with the Israeli-made Phalcon radar system from Russia. The first aircraft was scheduled to arrive in 2007-08 but has been delayed.
According to various sources, the Russian Air Force has 16-19 A-50 AWACS aircraft.
Russia is currently developing a modernized version of the A-50 plane, which features an improved radar system and more sophisticated and powerful engines.
- Russia to develop new AWACS plane - Aug 09, 2011
- India to soon fly home-grown surveillance radar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Indigenous airborne radar for IAF trials soon - Sep 20, 2012
- India's first advanced radar system to roll out end-2011 - Nov 09, 2010
- Embraer-based airborne warning system reaches India - Aug 23, 2012
- Second indigenous airborne radar flight tested - Apr 05, 2012
- India successfully tests second indigenous airborne radar flight (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to showcase its best combat aircraft in Dubai - Nov 12, 2011
- Embraer rolls out plane for India's airborne radar - Feb 22, 2011
- India gets set to receive more Israel AWACS - May 24, 2009
- IAF to soon decide on bidder for Mirage upgrade - Jun 15, 2011
- IAF to open bids for heavy choppers, tankers (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- US, Russia to conduct first joint defence exercise - Aug 03, 2010
- Putin calls for new long-range bomber and UAVs - Jun 15, 2012
- Indian air chief in Brazil to deepen defence ties - Aug 21, 2012