Russian court bans painting showing Mickey Mouse as ChristAugust 20th, 2011 - 11:03 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A court in Russia has banned a painting that depicted Mickey Mouse as Jesus Christ, saying it was “extremist”.
Alexander Savko’s “Sermon on the Mount” painting - part of a series titled “Mickey Mouse’s Travels Though Art History” - was first shown at a controversial 2007 exhibition called “Forbidden Art”.
The painting has been banned by the Kaluga region court from exhibitions, newspapers, magazines or television.
“During the court hearing, it was established that Savko’s technique of uniting the image of Jesus Christ, which is sacred for Christians, and the comical image of Mickey Mouse, which in this situation is vulgar, has turned the graphic work into a caricature of Jesus Christ,” a statement said.
“The Gospel story is therefore presented by the artist in the form of a comic, which is an extremely cynical and mocking insult to the religious beliefs and feelings of Orthodox Christian believers,” it said.
A probe into the legality of the painting was launched in 2007 after a Christian organisation accused the Forbidden Art curators of defacing religious symbols.
The Moscow City Court in 2010 ruled that the exhibition organisers were guilty of inciting national and religious hatred.
- Russian painter sews lips to protest - Jul 24, 2012
- Plane crash kills four in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Uzbek couple jailed for selling daughter - Jun 21, 2012
- Audi to relaunch car production in Russia in 2013 - Aug 30, 2012
- Pussy Riot appeals verdict - Aug 28, 2012
- Russia dismisses West's Pussy Riot criticism - Aug 23, 2012
- Russian sect views Putin as reincarnation of St. Paul - May 12, 2011
- Mitsubishi to produce Pajero Sport in Russia in 2013 - Aug 30, 2012
- Russian boxer banned for doping - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia seeks 900 stolen artworks via Interpol - Dec 29, 2011
- 'Putin-Mona Lisa' portrait sold for $300,000 - Oct 01, 2011
- Anger in Russia as Pussy Riot jailed - Aug 18, 2012
- Amnesty International urges Russia to permit gay parade - May 19, 2011
- Moscow bans gay parade - May 18, 2011
- Moscow police to enforce ban on gay rights campaign - May 27, 2011
Tags: art curators, caricature, christian believers, christian organisation, court hearing, exhibition organisers, gospel story, graphic work, image of jesus, image of jesus christ, kaluga region, mickey mouse, moscow city, religious beliefs, religious hatred, religious symbols, ria novosti, russian court, savko, sermon on the mount