Russian city bans homosexual propagandaFebruary 29th, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The legislative assembly of Russia’s St. Petersburg city Wednesday passed a law penalising the dissemination of material promoting homosexuality and paedophilia among minors.
The law imposes fines of up to $16,000 on individuals and up to $160,000 on legal entities for the promotion of homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender practices among minors.
Twenty-nine of 50 legislators voted for the law with five against and one abstention.
The new legislation outlaws any Gay Pride events. It follows similar bans in the southern Astrakhan and central Ryazan and Kostroma regions in Russia.
St. Petersburg’s LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) group Coming Out said the bill was “homophobic” and aimed at diverting public attention from Russia’s “real political and social problems”.
Homosexuality was illegal in the erstwhile Soviet Union and was only decriminalised by former President Boris Yeltsin in 1993, but anti-gay sentiment is still widespread.
- Gay propaganda banned in Russian city - Mar 11, 2012
- Russian city to slap fine for promoting homosexuality - Feb 03, 2012
- Anti-gay propaganda bill passed in Siberia - Apr 26, 2012
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- Madonna should be denied Russian visa: Theologian - Apr 06, 2012
- Russian gay rights activists arrested under new law - Apr 07, 2012
- Russian gays plead for end to crackdown - Dec 02, 2011
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Russian gays challenge bill in court - Apr 03, 2012
- St. Petersburg gays to rally despite ban - Jul 07, 2012
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
- Madonna's album released in Russia three days early - Mar 23, 2012
- Madonna to support Russian gay community - Mar 23, 2012
- Madonna sued for $10 mn over Russian concert comments - Aug 18, 2012
- Amnesty International urges Russia to permit gay parade - May 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,