Russian billionaire buys Monaco football clubDecember 24th, 2011 - 9:55 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev has bought a controlling stake in French Ligue 2 side AS Monaco, the club announced.
Long-time Monaco resident Rybolovlev, who made his fortune in potash, has acquired a 66.6 percent stake in the club through his Monaco Sport Invest holding, the club said in a statement Friday.
The remaining 33 percent of shares will continue to be held by the principality of Monaco, it said.
Rybolovlev, 45, was elected chairman of a newly formed board, the statement said.
“I do not consider this transaction simply as an acquisition, but as the beginning of a new effective partnership in the interests of the development of the Monaco Football Club,” the statement quoted Rybolovlev as saying.
Prince Albert II of Monaco called the deal “a new page in the history of the football team so dear to the principality”.
“The requirements of modern football create financial difficulties for many clubs, even those at the top level. It was thus inevitable that AS Monaco had to find a partner of prime standing in order to ensure its development,” Albert was quoted as saying.
Rybolovlev has been referred to as Russia’s “potash king” and recently appeared as No. 79 of the Forbes list of the world’s wealthiest people.
- Monaco coach drops former French striker Giuly - Jun 29, 2012
- Anzhi release Ivanov - Sep 08, 2012
- Ekaterina Rybolovleva pays $88 million for a NYC apartment - Dec 22, 2011
- Russian tycoon faces 'biggest divorce settlement in history' over wife's $6bn demand - Nov 17, 2010
- Anzhi plead fans not to bury European dream - Jul 17, 2012
- New Russian cabinet could use tycoon Prokhorov: Putin - Mar 08, 2012
- LUKoil ups stake in Italian refinery - Sep 05, 2012
- Liverpool unveil Rodgers as new manager - Jun 01, 2012
- Russian tycoon may run for president - Sep 03, 2011
- Russia's richest tycoon names $100 mn Yacht after mother - Jun 01, 2012
- Medvedev greets Russian football team - Jun 09, 2012
- Swedish biker denied 666 license plate renewal - Jun 08, 2012
- Huszti to Return to Hannover - Jul 23, 2012
- Anzhi budget may harm Russian football: Wernbloom - Aug 09, 2012
- Russia to expand commercial space services - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: acquisition, albert ii, billionaire, dec 24, financial difficulties, football club, football team, forbes list, fortune, french ligue 2, long time, monaco football, moscow, partnership, percent stake, potash, prince albert ii, prince albert ii of monaco, principality of monaco, ria novosti