Russian actress sentenced in France seeks pardon from MedvedevMay 27th, 2011 - 2:34 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian actress Natalia Zakharova, who is serving a three-year sentence for setting fire to her French ex-husband’s apartment after he took away their daughter, has asked President Dmitry Medvedev for a pardon, said the actress’ lawyer Alexei Pershin.
Zakharova, who has been fighting for custody of her daughter for more than 10 years, was convicted by a French court but was transferred to Russia to serve her sentence after the approval of a Russian request filed on the basis of the Russian-French Convention of 2003.
“She applied for a pardon today,” Parshin said Thursday. “She is only guilty of extreme love for her daughter.”
Medvedev holds the right to pardon even though Zakharova was sentenced in France.
The actress married Patrick Ouari in 1993 and left Russia for France. In 1995, Zakharova gave birth to a daughter, Masha, but the couple divorced soon afterward. In 2004, Zakharova was deprived of her parental rights.
The actress left France in 2006, and in the same year a Russian court recognised her parental rights. On April 26, however, a French court again deprived Zakharova of her parental rights, a decision Pershin called “illegal”.
Zakharova was arrested on charges of arson soon after returning to France in January 2010 to take part in court hearings on her parental rights.
- Medvedev to pardon jailed actress who set afire ex-hubby's house - Jul 15, 2011
- Russia, France to jointly build armoured vehicle - Jun 30, 2012
- Russian president pardons 27 convicts - Jan 10, 2012
- US, France, Britain want Russia to mediate in Libya: Kremlin - May 27, 2011
- Russia, France to discuss global security - Sep 07, 2011
- Global paedophile ring busted in Russia - Dec 14, 2011
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012
- Russian lower house passes paedophile castration bill - Feb 08, 2012
- Russia resumes power supplies after Belarus pays up arrears - Jul 02, 2011
- US couple charged with abuse of adopted Russian girls - Jul 02, 2011
- Medvedev, IMF chief to discuss world financial system - Nov 07, 2011
- Gaddafi must step down: Medvedev - May 27, 2011
- Bitter cold may destroy 50 percent of Russia's vineyards - Feb 13, 2012
- NATO strikes on Libya amount to land operation: Moscow - Jun 04, 2011
- Wanted sex trafficker extradited to Russia - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: 10 years, apartment, arson, court hearings, dmitry medvedev, french convention, french court, lawyer, masha, moscow, natalia, parental rights, pershin, ria novosti, russia, russian actress, russian court, russian request, setting fire, zakharova