Russia wins Olympic heavyweight boxing goldAugust 24th, 2008 - 4:41 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 24 (RIA Novosti) Russia’s Rakhim Chakhkiev Saturday bagged the Olympic heavyweight boxing gold after defeating world champion Clemente Russo of Italy in the final.His win has secured Russia’s first boxing gold at the Beijing Olympics. Russia has so far won 21 golds at the Olympics.
Chakhkiev, 25, defeated 2007 world champion Clemente Russo of Italy 4-2 in the heavyweight final.
Earlier, he beat Iran’s Ali Mazaheri 7-3, John Mbumba of France 18-9, and Cuban Osmai Acosta Duarte 10-5 on his way to the top.
Duarte finished third along with the other semifinal loser, Deontay Wilder of the US.
- Olympic boxing: Ukraine's Usyk slogs his way to gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic bronze: Heavyweights Pulev and Mammadov win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- US claim basketball gold, Ugandan marathon (Overall World Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Joshua wins super heavyweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Surender assured of boxing bronze in Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 10, 2011
- Cuba's ex-world champion boxer dead - May 22, 2012
- Olympics: Italian wins taekwondo gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Cuba achieves historic performance in Paralympics - Sep 10, 2012
- Perfect Hancock grabs 2nd Olympic gold in skeet - Jul 31, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: China, Kazakhstan women take bronze - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Italy's Mangiacapre, Mongolia's Uranchimeg take bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event - Apr 24, 2011