Russia will counter US missile defence: MedvedevFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 5:01 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will continue with the overhaul of its missile defence unless the US drops its plans for a European missile shield or proposes a scheme for a joint effort, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said.
“This does not mean the beginning of confrontation, but it means that we cannot treat their (US) plans indifferently since it concerns our strategic interests,” Medvedev said.
In an address to the nation in November, Medvedev had said that if Moscow’s participation in the European missile defence project fails, Russia would deploy tactical missiles in the Kaliningrad exclave and halt its disarmament and arms control efforts, including participation in the new strategic arms reduction treaty with the US.
“We will do everything in the direction voiced by me earlier, with the only exception being if our partners drop their plans or propose to us a scheme for participating in the joint development of missile defences,” Medvedev said.
Russia delivered Tuesday new S-400 Triumf air defence systems to its Western Military District and pledged to put them on alert duty in a month.
Russia-NATO missile defence talks have stalled as Moscow seeks legally binding guarantees that the US-backed European missile defence programme will not be directed against it.
Washington, however, refuses to provide written guarantees, saying the shield is not directed against Russia but rather rogue states such as Iran and North Korea.
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- US, Russia to continue missile defence talks - Aug 09, 2011
- Russia to target European missile shield if talks fail - Nov 23, 2011
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- Poland wants to build own missile defence - Aug 12, 2012
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
Tags: air defence systems, confrontation, control efforts, defence project, disarmament, dmitry medvedev, exclave, joint effort, military district, missile defence, missile defences, missile shield, nato missile, north korea, ria novosti russia, rogue states, russian president, s 400, tactical missiles, triumf