Russia, Venezuela to start naval drills in CaribbeanDecember 1st, 2008 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas/Moscow, Dec 1 (RIA Novosti) Russia and Venezuela are set to begin two-day joint naval exercises in the Caribbean. Four Russian and 12 Venezuelan ships will practice sea rescue operations and manoeuvring, and conduct live-firing artillery drills beginning Monday.
The exercises will include tactics to counter terrorism and drug trafficking, and will involve helicopters and planes, Russian and Venezuelan officials said earlier.
The Russian warships, led by the nuclear-powered cruiser Pyotr Veliky (Peter, The Great) arrived in Venezuela last week - the first such deployment since the Cold War - ahead of the Russian president’s first visit to the Latin American country.
The exercises are widely seen as Moscow’s response to the United States’ aid to Georgia after the latter’s brief war with Russia and US plans to deploy missiles in Central Europe. Russia has denied any connection.
Two Russian strategic bombers carried out patrols along the coast of South America in October.
During their visit to Russia’s Admiral Chabanenko destroyer last week, President Dmitry Medvedev and his Venezuelan counterpart Hugo Chavez said the planned drills were designed to ensure stability in the region and were not aimed against third countries.
They said other Latin American states could join their countries’ naval exercises in the future.
- Russian naval task force starts Venezuela visit - Nov 25, 2008
- Russian fleet reaches Venezuela for joint manoeuvres - Nov 26, 2008
- Russia, India to hold joint naval exercise in January - Jan 12, 2009
- Russian nuke-powered missile cruiser to be in Goa for joint exercise - Aug 05, 2010
- China, Russia conclude joint naval drill - Apr 27, 2012
- Joint manoeuvres with Russia no threat to neighbours: Venezuela - Nov 12, 2008
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- Nuclear-powered Russian missile cruiser to dock at Goa - Aug 05, 2010
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Chavez attacks Hillary for 'threatening' Russia, China - Jul 10, 2012
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012