Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises beginOctober 13th, 2011 - 11:55 am ICT by IANS
Vladivostok, Oct 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian and the US navies began joint anti-terrorism exercises near the Mariana Islands Thursday, a Russian Pacific Fleet spokesman said.
The Russian task force is led by the Varyag guided missile cruiser and also includes the Irkut tanker and a salvage tugboat.
“On Thursday, October 13, a Pacific Fleet task force completed its business visit to the Apra Harbor and along with the US Navy task force headed to high seas for the Pacific Eagle-2011 joint exercise,” Capt. 1st Rank Roman Martov said.
On Thursday the US and Russian ships will train joint maneuvering and exchange of light signals.
“Early on October 14, the active phase of the exercise will begin. It will include numerous scenarios, including an operation to liberate a vessel seized by terrorists,” Martov said.
After the drills the Russian task force will pay a visit to Vancouver, Canada and return to Vladivostok in early December.
The Varyag is a Slava class missile cruiser, designed as a surface strike ship with some anti-air and anti-submarine warfare capability. The sixteen SS-N-12 Sandbox nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship missiles are mounted in four pairs on either side of the superstructure, giving the ship a distinctive appearance.
NATO experts had dubbed Russian combat ships of this class “the killer of aircraft carriers”, as they can launch 1,000 kg of high-explosives or a tactical nuclear warhead to a range of 300 miles.
- Russian missile cruiser visits Canada - Nov 09, 2011
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- Russia conducts anti-submarine drills in Sea of Japan - Mar 24, 2010
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Russia, India to hold joint naval drills in January - Nov 20, 2008
- China, Russia conclude joint naval drill - Apr 27, 2012
- Foul-mouthed Russian submarine captain gets desk job - Jun 27, 2011
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- Russian navy ready to break Syria blockade - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: apra harbor, business visit, combat ships, distinctive appearance, guided missile cruiser, high explosives, light signals, mariana islands, martov, nato experts, nuclear warhead, pacific eagle, ria novosti, russian pacific fleet, russian ships, submarine warfare, us navy, vancouver canada, vladivostok, warfare capability