Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama’s tenure: US envoyMay 28th, 2011 - 5:29 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia and the US are unlikely to agree on the missile defence issue by the end of US President Barack Obama’s term, said US Ambassador to Russia, John Beyrle Friday.
“I think Russia and the United States will not manage to reach a consensus on this issue by the end of Obama’s presidential term,” Beyrle said in Russian during an interview with Ekho Moskvy radio station.
Earlier Friday at the G8 summit in Deauville, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev expressed his dissatisfaction with how the negotiations with the US on the missile defence shield are continuing, saying the sides are wasting time.
Moscow has been concerned by US reluctance to provide legally binding guarantees that its European missile defence system will not be directed against Russia.
“We must receive guarantees that it is not directed at us. So far, no such guarantees have been given,” Medvedev said.
Medvedev warned last Wednesday that Russia would have to build up its nuclear capability if NATO and the US failed to reach an agreement with Moscow on European missile defence cooperation.
Moscow has warned it might pull out of the new START Treaty.
- Russia, US to have three-year multiple entry visa soon - May 28, 2011
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- Russia to target European missile shield if talks fail - Nov 23, 2011
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- When Putin preached radio station on 'Freedom of Speech' - Jan 19, 2012
- US, Russia missile shield deal in two years - Mar 29, 2012
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- West to have 80,000 cruise missiles by 2020: Russia - May 29, 2011
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Russia, US to sign visa simplification agreement soon - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: ambassador, barack obama, consensus, deauville, defence cooperation, dissatisfaction, dmitry medvedev, g8 summit, guarantees, missile defence shield, missile defence system, negotiations, nuclear capability, radio station, reluctance, ria novosti russia, russia and the united states, russian president, time moscow, wasting time