Russia to target European missile shield if talks failNovember 23rd, 2011 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will deploy, if necessary, offensive weaponry in the southern and western parts of the country to target elements of the US-backed European missile shield, President Dmitry Medvedev said Wednesday.
Medvedev outlined a series of possible “appropriate measures” against the US interceptor missiles and radars being deployed in Europe if missile defence talks between Moscow and Washington resulted in failure.
“If the measures listed [in the statement] not be sufficient, Russia will deploy in the west and the south of the country advanced offensive weapons systems, which will target the European component of the [US] missile defence network,” Medvedev said.
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- 'US to remain priority in Russian foreign policy' - Feb 22, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield - Apr 29, 2011
- Medvedev signs new START ratification document - Jan 28, 2011
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- US ready to provide Russia with missile shield details - Nov 21, 2011
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: defence network, dmitry medvedev, elements, europe, european component, failure, interceptor missiles, measures, missile shield, moscow, offensive weapons, radars, ria novosti russia, us missile defence, weaponry, weapons systems