Russia to take new measures against credit crunchOctober 26th, 2008 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 26 (RIA Novosti) The Russian government is taking more steps following its initial market intervention to ease the credit crunch amid the ongoing global financial crisis, First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov said Sunday. “We believe that measures which have been taken for the first stage are sufficient and we have an entire range of tools for action. We can respond effectively, flexibly and swiftly. For subsequent actions, we are drafting a special programme,” Shuvalov said, adding that it would be adopted in the next few weeks.
Russia’s stock markets have lost around two thirds of their value since their May highpoints amid declining oil prices and other investor concerns in the wake of the global market crisis.
The Russian central bank has recently taken urgent measures to pump billions of dollars into the domestic stock market to shore up liquidity of leading market makers.
The central bank has also granted $50 billion in subordinated loans to Russian companies and banks through the country’s national development vehicle, Vnesheconombank, to help them refinance their foreign liabilities.
Starting Oct 20, the central bank has been holding unsecured loan auctions for a large group of Russian banks to help domestic banking cope with the liquidity crisis.
- Putin rules out state control of Russian economy - Oct 30, 2008
- Russia has overcome worst of credit crisis: Deputy PM - Sep 16, 2009
- Russia to lend Vietnam $8 bn for first n-plant - Nov 24, 2011
- Russia's second largest bank to refinance liabilities - Oct 13, 2008
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- Kremlin economic aide warns crisis could deepen - Sep 18, 2009
- Anti-crisis measures cost Russia about $100 bn : Putin - Jan 18, 2012
- World Economic Forum to open in Davos Wednesday - Jan 25, 2012
- Reliance Commercial Finance to move out of unsecured loans - Dec 06, 2011
- Russian government to buy stocks to ease credit crunch - Oct 30, 2008
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- India's central bank hikes rates sharply to tame inflation (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- `Brazil withstanding worst year of global crisis' - Aug 31, 2012
- Limited impact of US debt crisis, Indian economy resilient: RBI - Aug 08, 2011
- Russian official charged for $14 mn bank fraud - Mar 13, 2012