Russia to celebrate Day of Married Love every JulyApril 7th, 2008 - 10:13 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, April 7 (RIA Novosti) Russia has introduced a new date in the country’s calendar - the Day of Married Love and Family Happiness, the Federation Council’s social and health committee said Monday. “This should be a day to promote family love and happiness, based on national cultural traditions,” committee chairperson Valentina Petrenko said.
The event will be first celebrated July 8 this year, but will not be a public holiday. It is designed to coincide with the day of St. Peter and Fevronia, the Orthodox patron saints for marriage and family life.
According to its founders, the event will hopefully teach young people morality, responsibility and family values.
“We wanted to draw attention to the issues of family and marriage. It is designed to be a day when people can propose, tie the knot or simply say I love you.”
She pointed out that the Day of Married Love and Family Happiness was not intended to replace Valentine’s Day, which remains popular in Russia and across the globe.
Peter and Fevronia Day has long been celebrated in Murom, a historic city some 300 km east of Moscow. Young people traditionally exchange “fevronki,” a local version of Valentine’s Day heart-shaped cards.
Peter and Fevronia were canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1547. They are said to have died in the same hour on the same day in 1228. As Peter was a monk, they were buried separately, but their bodies were later found in the same grave.
- Russian village opens square for quarreling lovers - Jul 16, 2010
- Russian region imposes fine on clients of prostitutes - Jun 29, 2012
- Russian priest assaults women in road rage - Sep 06, 2012
- Russia dismisses West's Pussy Riot criticism - Aug 23, 2012
- Russian team criticised for not singing anthem at Euro 2012 - Jun 16, 2012
- Scarlett Johansson wants to explore Black Widow - Apr 18, 2012
- Church activists protest Moscow gay film fest - Apr 28, 2012
- 24,000 'stolen' brides in Kyrgyzstan in three years - May 11, 2012
- Medvedev congratulates British royal couple - Apr 29, 2011
- Moscow ramps up security ahead of Putin inauguration - May 06, 2012
- Putin denies role in Pussy Riot case - Sep 06, 2012
- Olympics: Italy wins women's team foil gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Russian church urges Kremlin not to ignore vote protests - Jan 08, 2012
- 600,000 Russians to watch presidential poll online - Mar 03, 2012
- Convicted Russian paedophile monk faces fresh charges - May 26, 2011