Russia to build anti-NATO missile shieldFebruary 5th, 2012 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will build a reliable aerospace defence system to effectively counter NATO missile threats, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Sunday.
Rogozin, appointed recently to oversee Russia’s defence industry, tweeted that the global security conference being held in the German city of Munich had failed to come to a compromise on creating a European missile defence system.
Rogozin quoted NATO Secretary General Anders Fog Rasmussen as saying that NATO would continue “to develop a missile defence system because we feel a strong responsibility to protect our populations effectively against the missile threat”.
“Well, as for us, we also feel responsibility for protecting our population from your missile threat and will create a reliable air and space defence,” Rogozin, who served as Russia’s envoy to NATO prior to his new appointment, wrote on his Twitter account.
Russia and NATO had agreed to cooperate on the so-called European missile shield during the NATO-Russia Council summit in Lisbon in November 2010.
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- Russia expects US compromise on missile defense - Oct 27, 2011
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield - Apr 29, 2011
- NATO chief congratulates Putin on victory - Mar 09, 2012
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- US, Russia missile shield deal in two years - Mar 29, 2012
- India poses no missile threat: NATO - Apr 19, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- US ready to provide Russia with missile shield details - Nov 21, 2011
- US, Russia to continue missile defence talks - Aug 09, 2011
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Moscow wants missile defence talks at NATO summit - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: aerospace defence, air and space, city of munich, defence industry, deputy prime minister, dmitry rogozin, german city, global security, lisbon, missile defence system, missile shield, missile threat, missile threats, nato missile, nato russia, nato secretary general, rasmussen, ria novosti russia, security conference, vm