Russia to ban smoking indoorsApril 21st, 2012 - 9:56 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is due to ban smoking in all enclosed spaces in an effort to stamp out the habit that kills up to 500,000 people every year, the health ministry said.
“All disagreements between ministries over the ban have been resolved,” a ministry spokesperson said.
The bill is still subject to approval by the parliament.
The World Health Organization (WHO) welcomed the bill, describing it as a “breakthrough” for Russia.
But Russia’s Consumers Union criticised the bill, saying curbs do little to discourage tobacco consumption, state-run daily Rossiskaya Gazeta reported.
More adults smoked in Russia than in any other heavy-smoking country in the world, the WHO concluded in a report released last year.
It said nearly 40 percent of the country’s 143-million-strong population were smokers.
Smoking-related diseases kill as many as 350,000 to a half million of Russians every year, according to Russian officials.
In 2010, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin approved a government anti-smoking programme which aims to cut the number of adult smokers by a quarter by 2015.
- Moscow to ban smoking in restaurants by 2014 - May 05, 2012
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- Like India, Russia to scare smokers with grim pictures - May 11, 2012
- Cigarette packs in Russia to carry warnings from Saturday - Jun 25, 2010
- WHO asks Russia to ensure scary pictures on cigarette packs - Feb 17, 2011
- Ukraine introduces ban on public smoking - May 25, 2012
- Russia imposes quota on foreigners in sports - Apr 19, 2012
- Alcohol consumption drops in Russia - Dec 29, 2011
- Russia to ban hookah smoking in public - Nov 10, 2011
- China puts into place new smoking ban - May 02, 2011
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Russian senators approve anti-opposition bills - Jul 18, 2012
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- Russian lower house bans internet alcohol ads - Jul 07, 2012
- Public Smoking All Set To Be Banned In Spain - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: adult smokers, adults, breakthrough, consumers union, curbs, disagreements, gazeta, habit, health ministry, moscow, parliament, prime minister, ria novosti russia, russian officials, russians, smoking related diseases, spokesperson, tobacco consumption, vladimir putin, world health organization