Russia slams US statement on intimidation of neighboursFebruary 16th, 2008 - 4:06 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, Feb 16 (RIA Novosti) Russia has strongly criticised US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for her recent comments that Moscow was “intimidating” its post-Soviet neighbours. “The words about intimidation from Russia are, at the very least, inappropriate,” Mikhail Kamynin, a foreign ministry spokesperson, said Friday.
Responding to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent statement that Russia could retarget its missiles against Ukraine if the former Soviet republic joined NATO, Rice said Wednesday that the “reprehensible rhetoric that is coming out of Moscow is unacceptable, and it’s not helpful to a relationship that actually has some positive aspects.”
Rice also said that the US was “devoted to the independence and sovereignty of Ukraine and of other states that were once a part of the Soviet Union”.
Commenting on Ukraine’s bid for NATO membership, Putin said during a meeting with Ukrainian counterpart Viktor Yushchenko in Moscow earlier this week that it was the country’s internal affair, but called on Kiev to think about the consequences of the move.
“It is terrifying even to think that in response (to Ukraine allowing anti-missile defences to be deployed on its territory) Russia could target its nuclear missile systems against Ukraine. This is what worries us,” Putin said.
Following Putin’s comments, Ukraine said it was prepared to pass legislation barring the deployment of NATO military bases on its soil should it join the military alliance.
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Russians head for polls to elect new president - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia to launch 100 military satellites - Feb 23, 2012
- Euro-missile defense could intercept Russian ICBMs - May 03, 2012
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Russia will continue to back NATO mission: Putin - Aug 02, 2012
- New Russian missile can carry bigger warhead: Expert - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia, Ukraine agree on naval base lease extension - Apr 22, 2010
- Over 380,000 policemen for Russia's election day - Mar 04, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- Ukraine, NATO to carry out radioactive clean-up - Jun 25, 2011
- Putin urges Ukraine to join new Russian space centre project - Apr 13, 2011
- Russia warns NATO against missile defence buildup - Sep 01, 2011