Russia should not fuel tensions in Georgia, says RiceJuly 10th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Tbilisi (Georgia), July 10 (RIA Novosti) US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Thursday said Russia should help Georgia resolve conflicts with its breakaway regions rather than exacerbate them. “It (Russia) needs to be a part of resolving the problem and solving the problem and not contributing to it,” Rice told reporters in the Georgian capital.
Rice is visiting Georgia amid rising tensions between the ex-Soviet Caucasus country and its breakaway regions, Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
The provinces have been a point of contention between Georgia and Russia. Moscow has provided aid to the regions and recently sent additional peacekeepers into Abkhazia saying they are needed to deter new bloodshed.
It accused Tbilisi of escalating the conflict. Georgia has charged Moscow with trying to annex its territory.
Rice urged for a peaceful solution to the disputes. “It is very important that all parties reject violence as an option. There must be a peaceful solution,” she said.
Four people were killed in a cafe explosion in Abkhazia Sunday and two died in a clash between Georgian and South Ossetian troops last week.
Rice said she would be seeking high-level talks to try and reach a solution to the long-running conflicts in Georgia.
The US top diplomat also expressed support for Georgia’s NATO bid, saying the country would hopefully be admitted in a Membership Action Plan in December, paving the way to full membership of the alliance.
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Bomber held in Georgia - May 05, 2012
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- Georgia tells citizens travelling to Russia 'unsafe' - Jun 11, 2011
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Russia will maintain, not build up n-arsenal: Medvedev - Mar 05, 2010
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- 'Georgia recruiting refugees as sabotage activists' - Aug 28, 2010
- Russia ready to restore diplomatic ties with Georgia - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia, NATO to discuss military ties - Jul 22, 2010