Russia pound Britain 95-75 in Olympic basketballJuly 30th, 2012 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS) Russian men flew out of the blocks at the Olympic basketball tournament here Sunday, pounding hosts Great Britain 95-75.
Russia, featuring NBA stars Andrei Kirilenko, Timofey Mozgov and Alexey Shved, seldom allowed Great Britain within 10 points after the first half.
Kirilenko, who this week returned to the NBA with the Minnesota Timberwolves, top-scored for the Russians with 35 points.
Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls lead Britain with 26.
The Russians, coached by David Blatt, exposed the gulf in class quickly, outscoring the British 24-19 and 25-15 in the first two quarters.
Britain passed up the chance to cut the lead to just eight points in the third quarter, missing two free throws through Deng.
Britain won the quarter 24-22 to give the home crowd something to cheer.
The fourth opened with Deng missing off the glass only for Alexey Shved to put a lob pass up for Kirilenko to dunk.
It was a passage of play that summed up the hosts’ evening.
A Kirilenko three-pointer dropped with six minutes remaining to set the score at 81-62 and head off any chance of a comeback.
Next in Group B, Russia face China, then Spain, Brazil and Australia.
Britain play Brazil.
Earlier in the group, Spain beat China 97-81 with Pau Gasol leading the way with 21 points.
In Group A’s two games, meanwhile, the Americans thrashed a talented France 98-71 with Kevin Durant hitting 22 points, and Nigeria beat Tunisia 60-56.
- Russia wins first Olympic basketball medal - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Russia beat Lithuania to reach semi-final - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Late gold rush saves Russia's blushes ahead of Sochi - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain storms into final (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- USA Basketball heads to world championship semi-finals with victory over Russia - Sep 10, 2010
- Military to guard NBA stars at Olympic qualifiers - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain, US set up rematch of Beijing final (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- Spain names basketball squad for London Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
- Spain, Argentina bring high hopes to Olympic basketball - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Venezuela poor host for Olympic basketball qualifying' - Jul 03, 2012
- Basketball: Russia seals Olympics berth - Jul 08, 2012
- Azarenka digs deep to beat Begu at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic sails into 3rd round - Jan 19, 2012
- Olympic Basketball: Russia survives Canadian scare - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: alexey shved, andrei kirilenko, basketball tournament, chicago bulls, deng, face china, france 98, great britain, home crowd, kevin durant, leading the way, minnesota timberwolves, nba stars, olympic basketball, pau gasol, ria novosti, russian men, russians, six minutes, two games