Russia opposes no-fly zone over SyriaAugust 18th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 18 (IANS) Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Saturday said Moscow opposes the idea of setting up a no-fly zone over Syria as it would be a violation of Syria’s sovereignty.
The creation of a no-fly zone over Syria would violate the UN Charter, Xinhua reported citing Lavrov’s interview with Sky News Arabia.
“If these zones are going to cover the territory of the Syrian state, this will constitute a violation of its sovereignty and of the UN Charter,” Lavrov said.
He said Moscow believes the imposition of the no-fly zone “under the pretext of preventing a humanitarian crisis” in Syria was unacceptable.
Lavrov said the reason Russia and China vetoed draft resolutions submitted by Western countries to the UN Security Council on the Syria issue was that the two countries hoped to safeguard the basic principles of “respect for other countries’ national sovereignty” and “non-interference in other nations’ internal affairs” as enshrined in the UN Charter.
According to Xinhua, during a recent visit to Turkey, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton confirmed that the US was considering a no-fly zone option in Syria.
- Russia supports Syrians' decision on leadership - Mar 18, 2012
- Russia opposes introduction of no-fly zone in Syria - Jul 07, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- China regrets UNSC ignoring Russia's proposal on Syria draft - Feb 05, 2012
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- 'Military action against Iran, Syria to violate international laws' - Mar 02, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia calls for political dialogue in Syria - Aug 25, 2012
- China, Russia to make joint efforts for Syria - May 11, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Syrian government planning talks with opposition : Russia - Aug 22, 2012
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: charter, draft resolutions, fly zone, foreign minister, hillary clinton, humanitarian crisis, imposition, interference, internal affairs, moscow, national sovereignty, pretext, secretary of state, sergei lavrov, sky news, syria, un security council, us secretary of state, western countries, xinhua