Russia hopes progess in N Korea’s denuclearisation processJuly 12th, 2008 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 12 (IANS) Russia Friday said progress being made at six-nation talks on North Korea’s controversial nuclear programme has raised hopes for an advancement in the denuclearisation of the communist country. “Naturally, there is progress on the basis of earlier achievements,” Russian deputy foreign minister Alexei Borodavkin told the RIA-Novosti news agency.
The Russian diplomat said there were still problems accompanying the talks, but there were hopes that the parties “will finish with a good result”.
Representatives from Russia, the US, China, Japan and the two Koreas began their fresh round of talks in Beijing Thursday and they are expected to adopt a statement Saturday, the last day of the talks.
The talks stalled late last year when Pyongyang missed a deadline to hand over nuclear data as part of a deal under which the communist country was promised economic aid and diplomatic incentives.
However, the talks were given new life when North Korea handed over detailed data on its nuclear activities in late June. It also demolished the cooling tower at its main Yongbyon nuclear complex June 27.
North Korea has said it possesses just 37 kg of plutonium and has destroyed the means to make more.
- Russia urges partners to continue fuel aid to North Korea - Dec 14, 2008
- North Korea began uranium n-weapons programme in '90s: South Korea - Jan 06, 2010
- Russia, North Korea mark 63rd anniversary of diplomatic ties - Oct 20, 2011
- Russia to complete fuel supplies to North Korea - Dec 14, 2008
- North Korea agrees with China on return to talks - Aug 20, 2010
- US wants North Korea to show commitment to denuclearisation - Sep 13, 2010
- North, South Korea on brink of war: Russian diplomat warns - Sep 24, 2010
- North Korea talks in Moscow next week - May 23, 2008
- North Korea vows to boycott nuclear talks (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2009
- North Korea a nuclear power state, says IAEA chief (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- North Korea committed to denuclearisation, Kim tells China - Feb 09, 2010
- China, North Korea seek restart of nuclear talks - Aug 31, 2010
- North Korea seeks peace treaty, end of sanctions - Jan 11, 2010
- 'North Korea may conduct 3rd nuke test in 2011' - Dec 24, 2010
- North Korea almost finished rebuilding nuclear facility: Report - Oct 06, 2009