Russia has no ‘imperial ambitions’, says PutinSeptember 11th, 2008 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow/Sochi (Russia), Sep 11 (DPA) Russia’s powerful Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Thursday his country did not have any “imperial ambitions” and he saw no substance in fears of a new Cold War with the West.”We do not have any ideological contradictions that could serve as the basis for a new Cold War,” local media quoted him as saying at a Kremlin round table in Russia’s Black Sea resort of Sochi.
“Quite the opposite, we have many common problems that can only be resolved together,” Putin said.
War between Moscow and its former Soviet vassal Georgia last month electrified old fears in Europe, and Russia’s relations with the West plunged to new lows reminiscent of the Cold War.
French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner warned in the wake of the conflict that the Kremlin could again resort to force to carry out imperialist designs on Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula, where Moscow rents a port for its Black Sea fleet.
But speaking to Western experts at the round table Thursday, Putin said, “We have none of the imperialist ambitions of which we are accused.”
The former president, who once called the collapse of erstwhile Soviet Union the greatest disaster ever to befall Russia, said: “If it hadn’t been for Russia, the USSR would still exist today.”
“Russia initiated the end of the USSR,” Putin was quoted by Interfax as saying Thursday. “We made this decision a long time ago, and we do not have any desire or any intention to encroach on the sovereignty of republics of the former USSR.”
- Putin denies Russia wants to revive Soviet Union - Oct 18, 2011
- Sochi Winter Olympics preparations are on, says Putin - May 12, 2012
- Russia not to lift EU vegetable ban: Putin - Jun 03, 2011
- Russia restricts Belarusian airline - Apr 06, 2012
- Russia seeks faster trade growth with Italy - Jul 24, 2012
- Russia plans to host 2018 FIFA World Cup in 13 cities - May 07, 2011
- Putin supporters stage massive election rally - Feb 23, 2012
- Amnesty activists held at U2 gig in Russia - Aug 26, 2010
- Putin condemns attack on US diplomats in Libya - Sep 14, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Putin envisions Russia as Paralympic powerhouse - Sep 11, 2012
- Olympics: Putin lauds 'brilliant' Russian judo golds - Aug 03, 2012
- Gorbachev worried about Putin's return - Sep 26, 2011
- Russia unveils new electric train for Sochi Olympics - May 31, 2012
- Russians rally as Medvedev offers reforms - Feb 04, 2012