Russia favours more time for reforms in Syria (Lead)June 9th, 2011 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 9 (IANS) The international community should give the Syrian authorities time for reforms, Russian foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said Thursday while opposing any UN resolution on Syria, RIA Novosti reported.
“The Syrian authorities have already made a few steps toward implementing the declared reform, and need more time to continue,” Lukashevich said.
Since March, Syria has been witnessing a wave of protests, calling for reforms and more freedom in the country.
Lukashevich said Moscow still thought it should be up to the Syrians themselves to resolve the crisis situation, without any external interference, within the law, and without violence against civilians in search of national accord on the basis of a broad dialogue.
Russia has also expressed its opposition to any UN resolution on Syria as, it maintained, the situation in the country was not threatening to global security.
“The [Russian] president has repeatedly said Russia opposes any UN Security Council resolution on Syria,” said Lukashevich. “The situation in the country does not pose any threat to international peace and security.”
On Wednesday, Britain and France submitted a new draft resolution on Syria. The UN Security Council will vote on the resolution in the next few days.
President Bashar al-Assad had initially responded to the anti-government protests by offering some concessions, including lifting the emergency in place since 1963, releasing hundreds of political detainees and reshuffling the government.
- Russia, Iran oppose foreign interference in Syria - Feb 23, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
- China calls for peaceful solution to Syrian crisis - Feb 25, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
- Medvedev opposes Libya-style UN resolution on Syria - Jun 20, 2011
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- US seeks Russia's cooperation over Syria resolution - Jun 18, 2011
- Syrian president threatening Israel is media provocation: Russia - Oct 06, 2011
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Russia opposes UN resolution on Syria - Jun 09, 2011
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, concessions, crisis situation, draft resolution, external interference, favours, foreign ministry spokesman, global security, international peace, national accord, political detainees, president bashar, protests, ria novosti, russian foreign ministry, russian president, security council resolution, syrian authorities, syrians, un security council