Russia expects US compromise on missile defenseOctober 27th, 2011 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Oct 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is hoping that the US will make reciprocal efforts to break a deadlock over the European missile shield, Russia?s envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said.
?We expect that the United States and its NATO allies will, after all, make steps to meet Russia halfway, because Russia has demonstrated its absolute creativity in search of a compromise,? Rogozin said after a meeting with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen Wednesday.
?However, we are still at a dead end because the United States stubbornly refuses to provide Russia with serious legally-binding guarantees (that the European missile shield will not be aimed against Russia),? Rogozin said.
The diplomat added that Russian Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov, Russia?s point man for arms control negotiations, will outline the Russian position on the issue to envoys from NATO member-countries at a Russia-NATO Council?s meeting Nov 15.
Russia and NATO agreed to cooperate on the so-called European missile defense system at the Lisbon Summit in November 2010. NATO insists there should be two independent systems that exchange information, while Russia favours a joint system with full-scale interoperability.
NATO has said it was ready to offer Moscow written assurances that the European missile shield being built is not directed against Russia but has refused so far to provide the legally binding commitments demanded by Moscow.
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- US, Russia to continue missile defence talks - Aug 09, 2011
- Russia, NATO to hold missile defence drills - Feb 02, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- Russia to build anti-NATO missile shield - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- US ready to provide Russia with missile shield details - Nov 21, 2011
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: anatoly, anders fogh rasmussen, antonov, binding commitments, control negotiations, defense minister, deputy defense, dmitry rogozin, independent systems, lisbon summit, missile defense system, missile shield, nato allies, nato council, nato member countries, nato secretary general, point man, ria novosti russia, russian deputy, russian position