Russia evacuates diplomats from YemenJune 5th, 2011 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will evacuate 14 diplomats from Yemen to Moscow by the nearest flight, a diplomatic source said Saturday.
Yemen has been rocked with protests against President Ali Abdullah Saleh since February. Armed people opened fire at a mosque near the presidential palace Friday, injuring senior officials, including the president, praying inside.
“Considering the complex situation in the Republic of Yemen… we will send 14 diplomats by the next plane to Moscow,” the source said, adding that no Russians had been injured in the protests in Yemen.
The source also said Russia was considering complete evacuation of all Russians from Yemen.
“We are looking into evacuation of all Russians. There are about 1,000 of them here together with a few hundred people from CIS [ex-Soviet republics],” the source said.
Russia is ready to help evacuate CIS people too, he added. However, few of these people want to leave, the source said.
Western media have said several hundreds of people have died in Yemen since the protests began.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday that the situation in Yemen was terrible and that the sides should ceasefire and start negotiations.
- Third Russian plane heads to Yemen for evacuation - Jun 14, 2011
- Yemeni vice president is acting president: Al Jazeera - Jun 05, 2011
- 175 Russians evacuated from Yemen - Jun 13, 2011
- Russian foreign minister to meet Libyan opposition - May 22, 2011
- Russia to evacuate people from Yemen - Jun 10, 2011
- Russian arms supply to Syria not for protesters: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Bus carrying Russians attacked in Syria - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia has no plans of military base in Cuba - Jul 29, 2012
- Russia denies supplying gunships to Syria - Jun 25, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Russia defends arms supplies to Syria - Feb 05, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
- Russia to ensure its two nationals' return from Libya - May 01, 2012
Tags: ali abdullah saleh, ceasefire, diplomatic source, diplomats, foreign minister, moscow, mosque, negotiations, president ali abdullah saleh, protests, republic of yemen, ria novosti russia, russians, senior officials, sergei lavrov, soviet republics