Russia-EU cooperation pact talks likely in NovemberOctober 28th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 28 (RIA Novosti) The European Union (EU) could resume in November talks with Russia on a new cooperation pact, put on hold last month over Russia’s military operation in Georgia, French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has said. The 27-nation bloc announced Sep 1 that it had suspended talks on a partnership and cooperation agreement with Russia over Moscow’s presence in Georgia and would not resume the negotiation process until the country pulled all its troops in Georgia back to their pre-conflict positions.
Although Moscow completed its troop pullout from a buffer zone in Georgia earlier this month, questions remain over the scale of its presence in South Ossetia.
Furthermore, some EU member-states said they wanted to see progress in talks on the future of South Ossetia and Abkhazia - recognized by Russia as independent states - before discussing relations with Moscow.
The issue of the disputed Georgian republics will be discussed at the international talks in Geneva Nov 18.
Kouchner said in an interview with the Kommersant business daily that restoring ties between Russia and the EU was not a “two-day issue,” although he added that the talks on the long overdue strategic cooperation agreement could still resume at a Russia-EU summit in Nice scheduled for Nov 14.
Moscow had on the whole complied with all the international commitments under the French-brokered peace plan to end the conflict in Georgia, although “a few disputable points remain”, the french minister said.
The first round of talks on a new wide-ranging deal between Russia and the EU was held in July. The agreement is set to replace the 1997 Partnership and Cooperation Agreement, which was extended for a year when it expired in December 2007.
- Talks on Russia-EU cooperation pact to resume - Dec 02, 2008
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- EU for probe into Georgia crisis - Sep 07, 2008
- US praises EU decision to freeze partnership talks with Russia - Sep 02, 2008
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- EU to re-start talks on deal with Russia - Nov 11, 2008
- Russia agrees to Georgia ceasefire plan (Lead) - Sep 08, 2008
- Russia's troop pull-out from Georgia not enough: EU - Oct 16, 2008
- Russia hails extention of Georgia observer mission - Feb 14, 2009
- West, Russia on new confrontation course - Sep 16, 2008
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010