Russia, Egypt to sign nuclear energy deal: ReportMarch 19th, 2008 - 10:35 pm ICT by admin
Cairo, March 19 (RIA Novosti) Russia and Egypt are due to sign an agreement on cooperation in the nuclear energy sector in the near future, an Egyptian daily said Wednesday, citing a source in the electricity and energy ministry. “An agreement on nuclear energy cooperation has been drafted and will be signed soon,” al-Masry al-Youm newspaper quoted the source as saying.
The document will lay the foundation for nuclear energy cooperation between Egypt and Russia and will strengthen relations between Russian companies and their Egyptian counterpart, the source said.
However, the agreement will not automatically mean that Russian companies will be building nuclear power plants in Egypt, the daily said.
“Companies will be selected at an international tender to be announced by the Egyptian government at the end of the year,” the source said.
An expert in Russian affairs, Nabil Rashwan said that the agreement would allow Moscow to build nuclear power plants in Egypt, train Egyptian personnel and supply nuclear fuel, adding that cooperation with Russia was more advantageous than with the US that imposed tough restrictions, including regular inspections and control.
According to Rashwan, the US is pressurizing Egypt to place its nuclear programme under US control to ensure the security of Israel.
- Hosni Mubarak is gravely ill: Report - Feb 14, 2011
- Egyptian woman seeks divorce over Ramadan cooking row - Aug 09, 2011
- Mubarak gets $339 as monthly allowance - Mar 29, 2011
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Mubarak's assets not frozen in EU: Report - Feb 18, 2011
- Cats inspired Egypt's Pharaonic fashion rage - May 30, 2011
- Egypt mulls transferring Mubarak to prison hospital - Apr 22, 2011
- NASA rocket to bear name of Egyptian woman killed in protests - Feb 11, 2011
- Russia, Belarus sign $10 bn nuke plant deal - Jul 18, 2012
- IAEA approves site for Egypt's first nuclear plant - Sep 18, 2010
- Iran launches Bushehr nuclear power plant - Sep 12, 2011
- Tonnes of diesel spill into the Nile - Sep 12, 2010
- Iran n-plant to switch to full capacity in May - May 04, 2012
- Libyan unrest will damage tourism industry: Egyptian officials - Mar 02, 2011
- UAE, Russia discuss N-fuel supplies: Report - Aug 14, 2011