Russia dismisses reports Georgia downed its spy planeSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 23 (RIA Novosti) The Russian military Tuesday dismissed reports that one of its pilotless planes was shot down by Georgia. Georgian authorities said earlier Tuesday that its military had shot down a Russian reconnaissance drone over Georgian territory to the south of the breakaway region of South Ossetia. They said the drone was shot down Monday morning near the town of Gori.
“No aircraft was recorded as having fallen or been shot down in the security zone,” Lt-Col Vitaly Manushko, head of the temporary press centre of the Russian peacekeeping forces, told RIA Novosti.
Russia and Georgia fought a brief war last month after the Caucasus state’s offensive to retake breakaway South Ossetia. Moscow subsequently recognized the republic along with another separatist region, Abkhazia, as independent states, and Tbilisi severed diplomatic ties with Moscow.
Russian troops continue to hold positions inside undisputed Georgian territory. They are due to withdraw from the security zones adjacent to South Ossetia and Abkhazia by Oct 10 under a pullback deal signed by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his French counterpart Nicolas Sarkozy.
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Bomber held in Georgia - May 05, 2012
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- Russian peacekeepers prepare for pullout from Georgia - Oct 03, 2008
- 'Georgia recruiting refugees as sabotage activists' - Aug 28, 2010
- Georgia tells citizens travelling to Russia 'unsafe' - Jun 11, 2011
- Russia ready to restore diplomatic ties with Georgia - Mar 03, 2012
- Russian ex-army officer jailed for spying - Dec 08, 2011
- Russia upgrades marine patrols off Abkhazian coast - Sep 20, 2009