Russia confers top award on Roerich trust headJanuary 6th, 2011 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) Russia has honoured Indologist Alena Adamkova with the Order of Friendship for her role in preserving the heritage of iconic Russian painter Nicolas Roerich and for promoting Indo-Russian cultural ties.Adamkova, curator and head of the International Roerich Memorial Trust (IRMT) and Gallery, located at Naggar, Kullu Valley, has been awarded the Order of Friendship, the highest Russian decoration for foreign citizens, by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, the Russian embassy said here Thursday.
Adamkova is honoured for her “outstanding contribution towards furthering and strengthening Russian-Indian cultural and scientific ties,” says the citation.
A specialist in Indian Studies, she lived for many years in Russia and India.
In 2001, the Russian embassy in India appointed her as the head of the International Roerich Memorial Trust.
In a message, Russian ambassador Alexander Kadakin stressed that Moscow highly valued Adamkova’s long-standing activities for the noble cause of safeguarding and memorialising in India and elsewhere the priceless intellectual and artistic heritage of the unique Russian family of the Roerichs.
The Roerichs made India their second home and served as a spiritual and cultural bridge between the peoples of Russia and India.
The IRMT, located in Kullu Valley in Himachal Pradesh functions under the patronage of the co-chairmen of the Russian-Indian Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IGC).
The memorial complex of the Roerichs in the township of Naggar in the serene Kullu Valley comprises the estate where the illustrious Russian family of the elder Roerichs lived from 1929 to 1947, an Art Gallery and the ‘Urusvati’ Himalayan Research Institute.
Until his death in 1993, it was the abode of Svetoslav Roerich and his legendary film star wife, Devika Rani. The estate is justly considered one of the unique treasure-houses of world culture.
- Roerich museum curator quits - Sep 09, 2012
- Roerich estate has 37 rare paintings of Russian painter - Sep 18, 2012
- Another row dogs International Roerich Trust - Feb 26, 2012
- Roerich row: Himachal counters Russian embassy remarks - Apr 25, 2012
- Roerich row: Russia seeks Indian government's intervention - Apr 23, 2012
- Probe ordered in irregularities in Roerich trust - Feb 23, 2011
- No inventory of Roerich's paintings, says trust member - Oct 10, 2011
- Roerich Trust ex-official summoned in visa case - Feb 27, 2012
- Roerich Trust official has valid visa, says police now - Feb 28, 2012
- International Roerich Trust mired in controversy - Sep 29, 2010
- Supreme Court upholds Karnataka's acquisition of Devika Rani's estate - Aug 09, 2011
- Rose garden, art gallery at Roerich's Bangalore estate - Jul 06, 2012
- Roerich fans pay tribute to Russian artist in Naggar - Oct 10, 2009
- Apex court upholds Karnataka's takeover of Devika Rani's estate (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Himachal hotel gets heritage status - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: abode, artistic heritage, chairmen, cultural cooperation, devika rani, dmitry medvedev, embassy in india, governmental commission, irmt, kullu valley, legendary film, memorial trust, nicolas roerich, patronage, russian ambassador, russian embassy, russian family, russian painter, russian president, treasure houses