Russia, China to set up regional disaster management centreMay 23rd, 2008 - 6:10 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, May 23 (RIA Novosti) Russia and China plan to set up a regional disaster management centre as part of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), a Russian emergencies ministry official said Friday. The SCO, a regional bloc comprising Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan, primarily addresses security issues, but has recently moved to include economic and social projects as well to their agenda..
“We are discussing the possibility of setting up an international disaster management centre in the Asia-Pacific region with headquarters in Krasnoyarsk [Russia's Far East],” said Yury Brazhnikov, head of the Emergency Situations Ministry’s international cooperation department.
“The prospects for this cooperation are enormous; we need each other,” he said.
He also said Russia will continue to help China cope with the consequences of the May 12 earthquake as the death roll from the disaster rose Friday to over 55,000 people with at least 25,000 still missing.
The quake affected eight southwestern provinces of China, with Sichuan bearing the brunt.
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- China, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan hold anti-terror drills - May 08, 2011
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- SCO summit convenes in Beijing - Jun 05, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Shinde to represent India at SCO summit - Nov 23, 2010
- Russia seeks India, Pakistan to join SCO - May 12, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Russia wants India, Pakistan in SCO (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Regional anti-terror exercises begin in Kazakhstan - Sep 13, 2010
- India lauds SCO's role in regional security - Nov 27, 2010
- China to loan $10 bn to SCO nations - Jun 08, 2012
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- Pakistani PM to attend SCO summit in Russia - Nov 01, 2011