‘Russia can win Olympic volleyball’May 29th, 2012 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 29 (IANS/Ria Novosti) Russian women’s volleyball team is still good enough to win the 2012 Olympic Games, said national team player Natalia Obmochaeva.
“We still need to have a good training camp, prepare, tighten up some parts of our game, and with this squad we can win,” Obmochaeva said.
Russians, who are the reigning world champions, won the Olympic qualification tournament Sunday in Tokyo after a clean sweep of wins in seven matches, securing one of the four remaining tickets to London.
Russia competed in Tokyo without spiker Tatiana Kosheleva and former European player of the year Lioubov Sokolova, both of whom are suffering from injury problems.
Obmochaeva said the return of Tatiana and Lioubov could prove crucial to Russia’s Olympic chances.
“They’re the leaders of the team. But nevertheless we got the result, won, and we’ll see how things progress. If we have to, we’ll play without them too, but I would definitely like them to come,” said Obmochaeva, who was a part of the team that won the world championship in 2010.
Obmochaeva was known as Natalia Goncharova, before marrying Russian men’s volleyball international Alexei Obmochaev in 2012.
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Lashmanova wins walk in record time - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Russia takes synchronised team gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Russia backs all 24 shooters to win Olympic medals - Jun 26, 2012
- Russia's women retain chess Olympiad title - Sep 10, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia defeat Bulgaria to reach final - Aug 10, 2012
- Paralympic gold for Russia in women's long jump - Aug 31, 2012
- Russia's women's volleyball coach dies - Aug 29, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia beats Britain - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic long jump : America's Reese wins women's gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia stun Brazil to win men's gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Italy beats Bulgaria for bronze - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Italy wins women's team foil gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russian Vorobieva pins down gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Russian Olympic medallists given luxury cars - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympic games, clean sweep, game, goncharova, lioubov sokolova, london, moscow, olympic games, olympic qualification tournament, olympic volleyball, ria novosti, russia, russian men, russian women, russians, team player, tokyo, training camp, volleyball team, world champions