‘Russia can help ISS astronauts with rehabilitation’March 30th, 2012 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia is ready to offer its medical expertise in the post-flight rehabilitation of astronauts from partner countries on the International Space Station (ISS).
“We know how to rehabilitate astronauts [after a long duration space flight]. For Europeans and Americans, the problem is harder, they do not have this experience… And so we are ready to use everything we know to help, perhaps, to change the rehabilitation period of [foreign] astronauts,” said Vladimir Popovkin, the head of Russian space agency Roscosomos Friday.
He explained that foreign astronauts usually fly home to their home countries directly after ending their space flight, which can sometimes cause problems for the astronauts.
“After such a long space flight, a normal flight home is a big problem. Maybe they should fly here [to Russia] for the fist two to three weeks for an extended rehabilitation period,” he added.
Alexei Krasnov, head of manned flight programmes at Roscosmos, said earlier that the Federal Space Agency proposed that NASA missions increase the length of stay on the ISS from six months to nine months and in the long term, to extend the stay in orbit to one year.
- Russia may send woman to ISS - Dec 08, 2011
- Russia not to exploit space shuttle monopoly - Jul 19, 2011
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
- Russia, Europe plan joint mission to Jupiter - Dec 21, 2011
- Sarah Brightman in talks over space trip - Aug 22, 2012
- Russia launches space freighter - Oct 31, 2011
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Russian space firm accused of $17 mn fraud - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia's space industry in crisis: Official - Dec 24, 2011
- Gagarin statue unveiled in London - Jul 14, 2011
- Russian space agency names next crew to ISS - Oct 25, 2011
- Russian astronaut asks to take son to ISS - Dec 02, 2010
- Private spacecraft to make second supply run to ISS - Aug 24, 2012
- Russia may suspend space deliveries - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: astronauts, dg, europeans, federal space, fist, flight home, home countries, international space station, manned flight, medical expertise, nasa, nasa missions, nine months, orbit, partner countries, ria novosti russia, russian space agency, space flight, space station iss, vladimir