Rumours on Geelani’s health during a mock drillMarch 30th, 2012 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 30 (IANS) Rumours did the rounds in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Friday about the health of hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani following a security drill by the police.
Traffic thinned out on the city roads as rumours ran wild about the health of the chairman of the breakaway Hurriyat group.
When contacted, the Geelani group’s spokesman Ayaz Akbar said: “Geelani Sahib is hale and hearty. The rumours concerning his health are unfounded and mischievous.”
Geelani had been heckled by activists of Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena (BSKS) and Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) in Delhi last week. Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah was the first to condemn the incident calling Geelani’s hecklers “bloody idiots” on his Twitter site.
Police had moved out riot control contingents in full gear at sensitive road crossings early Friday morning as part of a deployment drill in the city.
“This is just a routine security drill to test our preparedness,” said a senior police officer here.
No untoward incident was however reported from anywhere in the city.
- Syed Ali Shah Geelani heckled at seminar in Delhi - Mar 26, 2012
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- ABVP workers hurl eggs at Mirwaiz's vehicle in Kolkata - Nov 28, 2010
- ABVP to protest against corruption July 27 - Jul 22, 2011
- Protestors try to stop Arundhati at meet - Nov 21, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- ABVP activists baton-charged - Aug 09, 2011
- Delhi Police identifies Radhika Tanwar's killer - Mar 11, 2011
- Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha activists attack Mirwaiz in New Delhi - Nov 30, 2010
- Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar - Jun 17, 2011
- Delhi University students march against corruption - Jul 27, 2011
- BJP youth outfit protest against Arundhati Roy's presence in Bhubaneswar - Nov 21, 2010
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- ABVP flays report on assault against professor - Mar 22, 2011
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: abvp, akbar, akhil, ayaz, bhagat singh, breakaway, chief minister, city roads, geelani, jammu and kashmir, kranti, police traffic, riot control, road crossings, routine security, rumours, sahib, separatist leader, untoward incident, vidyarthi