Ruling BJP disrupts Orissa assembly over Hindu leader’s killingNovember 26th, 2008 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 26 (IANS) The Orissa assembly witnessed several disruptions before being adjourned Wednesday after members of the Bharatiya Janata Party - a key partner in the coalition government - protested demanding arrest of killers of a Hindu leader.On the first day of the winter session, Speaker Kishore Mohanty briefly suspended the house twice before adjourning it for the day after BJP members repetitively stalled the proceedings.
They were demanding immediate arrest of the people who killed Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides in the district of Kandhamal Aug 23 this year.
The killings triggered a wave of communal violence in the state leaving at least 38 people killed and forcing thousands of Christians to flee homes.
Saraswati’s killing was owned by leftist guerrillas but Hindu groups are blaming Christians for the crime.
The BJP members started protesting soon after the question hour began in the morning demanding discussion on the Kandhamal issue and didn’t allow the speaker to conduct business.
Despite continuous pleading by the speaker that he would allow a discussion, the protesting members rushed to the well raising slogans and stalling the proceedings.
Ruling legislators alleged that after three months of the veteran VHP leader’s murder the killers and mastermind of the crime were moving scot-free.
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition creates ruckus, assembly adjourned (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Telangana issue again rocks Andhra assembly - Sep 18, 2012
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Kandhamal violence - Dec 10, 2008
- Kandhamal nun gangrape trial begins - Jul 26, 2010
- EU team meets police, Christian leaders over Kandhamal - Feb 04, 2010
- BJP corners PM over coal scam, parliament disrupted (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Stormy start to Delhi assembly monsoon session - Sep 04, 2012
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Orissa assembly adjourned over VHP leader's killing - Aug 25, 2008