Rudd asks Pakistan to do more against TalibanApril 12th, 2008 - 7:10 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, April 12 (IANS) Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has criticised Pakistan for not doing enough to curb terrorism and has told President Pervez Musharraf to lift his game. Rudd told Musharraf that he needs to do more to stem the flow of arms and support to the Taliban in remote areas of Pakistan, reports the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Rudd Friday met Musharraf in the southern Chinese city of Sanya, where they are attending the Boao Forum for Asia.
Pakistan has been the West’s key ally in the `war against terror’, but Rudd said that after visiting the NATO summit in Bucharest last week, he and other world leaders were concerned about lack of cooperation from Pakistan, reports The Australian.
“Together with other members of the international community, I do have concerns about the level of cooperation on behalf of the Government of Pakistan in the overall effort against terrorism in Afghanistan,” Rudd told newspersons in Beijing on his last day of the China visit.
Australia has more than 1,000 Australian soldiers in Afghanistan. “I will be seeking to engage President Musharraf on what more Pakistan can do to underpin the efforts of the United States and its allies in Afghanistan in what is a difficult and protracted war,” he added.
The two leaders are said to have discussed Australia’s cancelled cricket tour of Pakistan and explored the possibility of reviving it.
- 'Afghanistan scares the hell out of' Rudd: Wikileaks - Dec 10, 2010
- Australia spells out Afghanistan exit plan - Apr 17, 2012
- Oz minister backs India uranium deal, says no to Pakistan - Dec 06, 2011
- Pakistan-China trade can reach $15 bn: Gilani - Apr 01, 2012
- Pakistan denies military double game with Taliban - Feb 18, 2012
- Musharraf disappointed over Obama skipping Pakistan - Nov 06, 2010
- Can't push Pakistan to do more: Gilani - Sep 30, 2011
- Afghan war affecting Pakistan: Zardari - Apr 11, 2011
- Clinton warns of terrorists-pursuit on Afghan-Pakistan border - Oct 20, 2011
- Australians unaware of near 'terror misses', says Rudd - Oct 21, 2010
- Terrorists in Pak, Afghanistan 'threat not only to US but world' says Gibbs - Sep 08, 2010
- US seeking answers from Pakistan after Osama raid - May 19, 2011
- LeT still going strong in Pakistan's terror core: US (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Pakistan for military action against terror: Gilani - Nov 01, 2011
- Pakistan needs to do more in war against terror: Holbrooke - Jun 20, 2010