RSS worker shot dead in KandhamalNovember 5th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 5 (IANS) An activist of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) was Wednesday shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Orissa’s communally sensitive Kandhamal district, the police said. “Three people came on a motorcycle and shot dead Dhanu Pradhan at Kumarigaon village,” an official of the Brahmanigaon police station told IANS.
Pradhan was a contractor and a known RSS activist in the area.
“A police team has been rushed to the village for further investigation,” the official added.
The district of Kandhamal, some 200 km from here, witnessed communal violence after the murder of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides Aug 23.
While the police blamed the Maoists for the crime, the Hindu groups blamed Christians for the murder. At least 38 people were killed and thousands were rendered homeless in the violence.
The police is not sure if Wednesday’s killing has any link to the communal violence.
- RSS activist gunned down in Kandhamal (Lead) - Nov 05, 2008
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Maoists blow up ambulance, five killed (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Hindu activist's murder renews tension in riot-hit Orissa region - Nov 06, 2008
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- BJP legislator surrenders after apex court rejects bail - Mar 09, 2011
- Convicted BJP legislator gets bail in Kandhamal murder - Mar 18, 2011
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- One held guilty in Kandhamal riot case - Nov 30, 2009