Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by copsNovember 29th, 2011 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 29 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa Tuesday announced a solatium of Rs.5 lakh for each of the four tribal women, who were allegedly raped by policemen in Villupuram district, and suspended five uniformed men.
In a statement issued here, Jayalalithaa said she had ordered payment of Rs.500,000 each to the four tribal Irula women who complained of rape by policemen of Tirukoilur police station in the district.
“Severe action will be taken against the policemen if the charge against them is proved. Tirukoilur judicial magistrate is inquiring into the charge,” Jayalalithaa said.
She said the policemen - inspector Srinivasan, special sub-inspector Ramanathan, head constable Dhanasekaran, and constables Bakthavatchalam and Karthikeyan - were suspended when the preliminary inquiry revealed that the four women were kept in a police van at night.
On Nov 22, police received a complaint from Lakshmi, one of the arrested women, alleging rape by policemen.
According to police, six men were picked up by Tirukoilur police for house-break and theft.
The women alleged that eight policemen subsequently also picked up the four women, related to the men, for inquiry. According to the women, four policemen had raped them.
Two months back, a special court in the state had convicted 269 accused for atrocities against the Dalits and 17 for rape in what is known as Vachathi case. A team of police and forest department personnel indulged in loot, arson and rape in Vachathi village in Dharmapuri district in June 1992.
- Tamil Nadu cops face sexual assault probe - Nov 28, 2011
- Tribal women allege sexual assault by Tamil Nadu cops - Nov 26, 2011
- All 269 guilty in Vachathi mass rape, assault case - Sep 29, 2011
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Mystery shrouds couple's death in police custody - Jun 08, 2012
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Four Uttar Pradesh cops suspended - Sep 30, 2011
- Arrested for murder, Bihar girl raped in custody - Aug 24, 2011
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Case against police station: Five cops suspended - Jun 17, 2011
- Escaping police check, two teenagers die in collision - Jun 02, 2011
- Inspector suspended for misbehaving with judge - Apr 04, 2011
- Five cops suspended for custodial death - Jan 07, 2011
- Five cops booked for murder - Mar 04, 2011
- Court seeks detailed report on UP girl's murder probe - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: arson, atrocities, chief minister, constables, dalits, forest department, four women, head constable, j jayalalithaa, judicial magistrate, karthikeyan, lakshmi, loot, police van, policemen, preliminary inquiry, rs 500, six men, tribal women, uniformed men