Rs.4 mn hawala money seized from bus in KeralaMay 4th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by admin
Kalpetta (Kerala), May 4 (IANS) The police have seized Rs.4 million ($100 million) in cash, believed to be hawala money, from a private bus here Sunday and took into custody a man called Nasreen, a native of Rajasthan. The bus was coming to Kozhikode from Bangalore. The currency was found hidden under a seat. Nasreen was believed to be carrying the cash.
“The buses plying in this route have become a regular channel to bring hawala money into the state,” said P.S. Gopi, deputy superintendent of police at Kalpetta, the headquarters of Kerala’s Wayanad district.
This is the fifth such seizure of currency in the last five months. The police said most of this money was intended for people in Thamarassery and Koduvalli in the neighbouring Kozhikode district.
- Rs 2.5 million hawala money seized in Kerala - Jun 04, 2008
- Karmapa cash row: Enforcement Directorate begins probe - Feb 01, 2011
- Karmapa cash row: Enforcement Directorate scans records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Karmapa quizzed again, says India's interests not harmed (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2011
- Karmapa intentionally hiding facts, say Himachal Police (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2011
- Cash for votes rains in Tamil Nadu, Rs 5.11 cr seized - Apr 05, 2011
- Kerala Police raid offices of radical Muslim group - Jul 13, 2010
- Cash seizure: Youth Congress for mayor's resignation - Aug 27, 2011
- Crackdown continues against errant bus operators in Andhra - Jun 23, 2012
- Karmapa cash row: Couple arrested in Delhi - Feb 04, 2011
- Karmapa asked 50 questions, denies allegations (Lead) - Jan 30, 2011
- Karmapa's monastery raided, aide arrested - Jan 27, 2011
- Telangana protesters torch buses, railway counter - Sep 28, 2011
- Chargesheet soon in ex-Marxist leader's murder - Jul 14, 2012
- Court drops charges against Karmapa in currency case (Lead) - May 21, 2012