Rs.298 mn sanctioned for Bhagalpur riot victimsJune 12th, 2008 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) The government Thursday sanctioned Rs.298 million for the relief and rehabilitation of the victims of communal riots that had erupted in Bihar’s Bhagalpur town in 1989-90. The families of the 844 people who had died in the riots would receive Rs.350,000 each, an official spokesperson told reporters after a cabinet meeting presided over by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“This would be in addition to the amount already paid by the state government and would entail an expenditure of Rs.29.54 crore (Rs.295 million),” the spokesperson added.
The 22 people injured in the riots would be paid Rs.125,000 each “which would be reduced by the amount already paid by the state government”, he said.
This would entail expenditure of Rs.3 million.
The Bhagalpur riots had erupted after a Hindu religious procession was stoned, allegedly by Muslims. Most of the riot victims were Muslims.
Bhagalpur had earlier hit the headlines in 1980 when police blinded at least 31 prisoners who were being tried for various crimes.
- 19 years on, government clears Rs.298 mn for Bhagalpur riot victims (Lead) - Jun 12, 2008
- Files on Bhagalpur riot victims missing - Sep 26, 2008
- 20 years later Bhagalpur riot victims get redress - Jun 12, 2008
- Compensation package brings fresh hope to Bhagalpur riot victims - Jun 12, 2008
- Rs.7 million released for Muslim youths wrongly held - Dec 07, 2011
- Union Carbide gets court notice on plea to hike relief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Package for pandits irk migrants from Jammu hills - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Accident compensation also for loss of earnings, normal life' - Aug 26, 2012
- PM appeals for peace in Assam, assures proper probe, rehabilitation (Third Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Apex court observations on Haj subsidy - May 08, 2012
- Apex court turns down Assam's plea to reduce compensation - Jan 07, 2011
- Himachal offers sops to employees - Jun 18, 2012
- Panic post Assam riots exposes human trafficking in Goa mines (Goa Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012
- Delhi cabinet approves hike in ex-gratia amount - Mar 09, 2011
- 17 days of parliament deadlock costs nation Rs.132 crore - Dec 06, 2010