Rs.2 lakh each for Mumbai train accident victims’ kinApril 19th, 2012 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 19 (IANS) Railway Minister Mukul Roy Thursday condoled the death of two people after they fell from an overcrowded Mumbai suburban train and announced a compensation of Rs.2 lakh each to their families.
“The minister has expressed deep condolence over the unfortunate and tragic death of two people in Mumbai and announced a compensation of Rs.2 lakh each to the next of kin of the two victims,” said a railway official.
Two commuters were killed Thursday when they fell off an overcrowded local train, an official said as the Central Railway’s suburban services continued to be disrupted by signalling woes, leading to chaos in the city. Fifteen people travelling in other packed trains were also injured.
Millions of commuters have had a harrowing time the past two days after train services were curtailed following a fire in the main signal cabin at Kurla station. Work on a fire-ravaged signal network has been taken up on a war-footing, an official said.
- Two killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train - Apr 19, 2012
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Government slammed over Mumbai commuters' woes - Apr 19, 2012
- Mumbai limps on second day after railway fire - Apr 19, 2012
- Signal cabin fire hits Central Railway services - Apr 18, 2012
- Mumbai suburban train service getting back to normal - Apr 20, 2012
- Central Railway fire halts Mumbai (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- One killed in Maharashtra train accident, probe ordered - Jul 20, 2012
- Driver error caused train mishap, probe ordered (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2011
- PM, Jayalalithaa condole deaths in train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Two Mumbai local trains collide, no casualties (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Six injured in Mumbai train collision (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- 15 killed as Hampi Express hits stationary train in Andhra (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Central Railway to run 12-car trains from Wednesday - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: accident victims, central railway, chaos, commuters, condolence, lakh, local train, mukul, New Delhi, railway minister, railway official, signal cabin, suburban services, suburban train, tragic death, train accident, train services, trains, woes